Only 8 days till Christmas? That’s crazy! I’m already pretty much done with Christmas present shopping and I’ve finished wrapping all of them. I’m a really bad wrapper, I just can’t get the corners to fold down perfectly. My sister is really good at wrapping presents and making the perfect bow, it makes me slightly jealous she’s so good at it.
One thing I’m constantly asked as a flight attendant is “what is your favorite layover?” This is a hard question because it really depends on the time of year, my mood and the weather. However, there are 8 layovers that are some of my favorites no matter the time of year or the weather.
Here are my 8 favorite layovers (in no particular order).
- Juneau, Alaska
- I love Juneau. Alaska is a hidden gem that I always tell my friends and family to go and see at least once in their life. I know it seems so far away, especially from the East Coast, but definitely come check out this hidden gem.
- Maui, Hawaii
- Who doesn’t love a good weekend in Hawaii? I love Maui and as I have more layovers here, I fall in love even more with Hawaii. The island life helps me recharge and it actually feels like a vacation for me even if I’m only away for 24 hours.
- Portland, OR
- I love Portland layovers because stay three blocks away from Powells. Powells bookstore is a readers dream. I always have to tell myself I’m only allowed to spend $25 when I’m in Powells because I can spend way too much there. Powells is the largest independent bookstore on the West Coast that has both new and used books. If you ever go to Portland, this is a must place to stop at.
- Boston, MA
- I love Boston layovers because of the hotel. We stay in two different hotels and I like both of them. One of the hotels provides breakfast which I why I like that hotel. The other hotel is near Boston Commons which is central to most everything I like in Boston. If you’re ever there in the summer, go to a Boston Red Sox game because Fenway is an amazing baseball park you have to experience.
- Orlando, FL
- I didn’t start flying to Orlando until April of this year, but since then I’ve been there 8 times this year. I love the warmth of Orlando and that we are so close to Disney Springs. Whenever I layover here, I walk to Disney Springs and spend hours just perusing and window shopping. It’s a fun experience for someone who doesn’t want to spend a lot of money but wants to go out and enjoy the outside.
- New York, NY
- There is always so much to do and see in New York that even layover is different and fun. I have a few good friends who live in New York so if I go out there, I try to see them while also throwing in a show or two to see. The last time I was in New York I got tickets to see Late Night with Stephen Colbert. Download the 1iota app and you can get tickets to see shows for free (but often you have to plan ahead for this).
- Philadelphia, PA
- I love Philadelphia for the history. The first layover I had I went and toured Independence Hall and I literally geeked out over how much history was there. I tend to get really over emotional about history and I almost cried because I was so excited.
- Minneapolis, MN
- Minneapolis layovers have a special place in my heart because of all my college friends who still live there. I used to pick them up pretty regularly to see them but lately I’ve had to switch my schedule around and I haven’t made it out there are much as I would like. We stay right near the Mall of America so I always go shopping there whenever I get the chance because no sales tax is a thing I take advantage of.
What are some of your favorite places to vacation?