Holidays are for hanging out with friends, winding down the year and lots of drinking. Whether it is alcohol or Martinelli’s Sparkling Apple Cider, lots of drinks are going around. Some of my favorite drinks I can only get around the holiday time. Additionally, since I turned 21, I’ve had the pleasure of being able to have alcoholic drinks (though honestly I just take a few sips and pass them along to someone else, mainly my mother).
Some of the best drinks I’ve had was when I was in Europe that I can’t get in the States so if anyone is reading this from Europe and wants to send me mulled wine, I won’t say no.
Here are 17 of the best holiday drinks I’ve had:
- Williams- Sonoma Classic Hot Chocolate (only available during the holidays, and can be purchased here)
- Glüwhein – German hot spiced wine
- Mulled wine – English hot spiced wine
- Martinelli’s Sparkling Apple Cider (non-alcoholic)
- Egg Nog (took me a while, but I finally caught on to why everyone likes it)
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- Spiced Apple Cider (warm)
- White Christmas Mojito (I got the recipe here)
- White Hot Chocolate
- Salted Caramel Latte
- Caramel Apple Spice
- Gingerbread hot chocolate
- Hot Buttered Rum (I normally don’t like rum but this wasn’t bad!)
- Christmas Sangria
- Candy Cane Mint Vodka
- Martinelli’s Sparkling Apple-Cranberry Cider (non-alcoholic)
- Mexican Cocoa
Any great holiday drinks you’ve had? Let me know! I’d love to try them.
I love books and I love Christmas, so these two things combined make me especially happy. When I was younger, I used to have a goal where I was going to try and read every book in the world (obviously my 10-year-old self was extremely unrealistic).
Regardless, I found that in the past two years, I’ve wanted to read more holiday books and so I’ve been borrowing them from the library. First off I found some Christmas books have a sad storyline, or they are romantic books (like Debbie Macomber is the queen of Christmas romantic books) or they are picture books. While I really tried to find non-romantic happy Christmas books, I haven’t been very successful (also I didn’t try that hard so this list is based on my meager attempts).
I’ve read all the books listed and they’re all great and incredibly cheesy . Also really no shame in reading romantic Christmas fiction because it creates the best happy holiday feelings.
- The Grinch Who Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss
- The Gift of the Magi by Lisbeth Zwerger
- A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
- Last Christmas in Paris by Hazel Ganor
- Merry and Bright by Debbie Macomber
- The Nutcracker by E.T.A Hoffman
- The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
- Eloise at Christmastime by Kay Thompson
- The Snowman by Raymond Briggs
- The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree by Gloria Houston
- Christmas in London by Anita Hughes
- A Very Merry Princess by Susan Mallery
- A Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
- A Charlie Brown Christmas by Charles Schulz
- Let it Snow by John Green and Lauren Myracle
- My True Love Gave To Me by Stephanie Perkins
- Hercule Poirot’s Christmas by Agatha Christie
Know of any good Christmas books? I would love some recommendations!
Who loves cheesy Christmas romantic comedies (rom-com)? I LOVE THEM. Hallmark, Netflix – you name them, I’ve seen them! There is something so wonderful and cheesy about watching terrible movie plots, fake snow and two people falling in love within two days of meeting each other. It’s exactly how I would want to fall in love with someone during Christmas (just kidding). But in all seriousness, Christmas rom-com are some of my favorite movies and I love that this is something that other people are jumping on the bandwagon. Thank you Netflix and Hallmark for taking on this momentous task and doing a superb job.
Let’s start with Netflix’s greatest release this year: The Princess Switch starring Vanessa Hudgens. If you didn’t this was rom-com gold, get out of here. Buzzfeed did a quiz about which guy from A Princess Switch you should marry and I got Hot Baker Dad Kevin and I was ecstatic (you can take the test here). You should also watch their movie The Holiday Calendar, also released this year because it is magical gold.
Netflix released a total gem last year called A Christmas Prince and this changed my life. It made me realize that journalism is a viable career path if it means meeting a prince (currently looking into journalism schools that have internships in countries with royal families, so far – there are none). Netflix is releasing a sequel A Christmas Prince: The Royal Wedding and frankly, I think it’s a bit cheeky of them to use The Royal Wedding. As if to completely ignore the fact that THE ROYAL WEDDING already happened earlier this year (cc Harry and Meghan Markle). Anyways, at the time that I am writing this post, the sequel hasn’t been released so I can’t give you my opinion, but rest assured I am sure I will love it.
There were also some great holiday rom-com blockbusters such as The Holiday – which I recently discovered Hans Zimmer wrote the score for. Hans Zimmer, the composer who wrote the score for Inception, The Lion King, Driving Miss Daisy, Pearl Harbor, Pirates of the Carribean, the list goes on and on, wrote the score for The Holiday. It kills me. I digress.
Anyways here’s list of my favorite holiday rom-com (in no particular order because I honestly couldn’t rank them so please don’t ask me).
- The Princess Switch (hello KEVIN)
- A Prince for Christmas
- The Holiday Calendar
- A Princess for Christmas (Hi Sam Heughan)
- The Holiday (I’m just here for Jude Law)
- Love Actually
- White Christmas
- A Christmas Kiss
- A Dogwalker’s Christmas Tale (I’m just here for the dogs)
- Crown for Christmas
- A Very Merry Mixup
- A Christmas Detour
- Christmas Inheritance
- Christmas with a view
- Christmas in the City (Ashanti is in this, need I say more?)
- Christmas Crush (or Holiday High School Reunion starring AARON SAMUELS – who’s real name is Jonathan Bennett but did anyone actually know that?)
- Holiday Engagement
- My Christmas Dream
- The Spirit of Christmas (kind of weird, but kind of love it)
What’s your favorite holiday rom-com? Did I miss any good ones? Let me know in the comments below!
There are a lot of Christmas movies that have been released and are released every year. I have a lot of nostalgia for ABC Family’s 25 Days of Christmas (now Freeform and what does Freeform even mean?) A lot of these movies I watched on ABC Family at my grandma’s house while drinking a cup of hot chocolate and hanging out with my family. This will be my first Christmas without my grandma and I’m getting emotional knowing we will watch these movies without her for the first time.
These are my favorite Christmas movies (in no particular order):
- The Santa Clause
- Eloise at Christmastime
- Home Alone
- Miracle on 34th Street (1947 version)
- Plane, Trains, and Automobiles
- Love Actually
- A Charlie Brown Christmas
- The Polar Express
- The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
- It’s A Wonderful Life
- Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
- White Christmas
- A Christmas Carol
- Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer
- Frosty the Snowman
- Mickey’s Once Upon A Christmas
- Richie Rich’s Christmas List
- Olive the Other Reindeer
- A Year Without Santa Clause
Yes I left of A Christmas Story because I was never allowed to watch it and when I finally saw it, I wasn’t that crazy about it. What’s your favorite Christmas movie? Let me know in the comments below.
Who loves Christmas as much as I do? The Holidays are my favorite time in the year because you have an excuse to wear the comfiest clothes, drink hot chocolate all the time and get to snuggle up with your loved ones. I always look forward to decorating the tree and my family always blasts music while we put the lights up. It often takes us a long time to decorate the tree because we end up having dancing and karaoke breaks to the Christmas music.
Christmas music is my favorite thing about the Holidays. I love Christmas music more than I love anything else about Christmas (except for spending time with my family, that beats everything). There are so many songs, so many artists and their own variation of some classics. There are lot of Christmas albums, and every year at least four new ones are released. I always enjoy listening to the classic Christmas songs, but there have been some really amazing original Christmas songs that have been released in the past decade.
This is my list of the 25 Best Original Christmas Songs.
Do you know of any original Christmas songs that I might have missed? Let me know in the comments!